[LAU] Alligning audio without graphics (for phase inversion cancellation)

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Tue Nov 24 23:19:39 UTC 2015

F. Silvain wrote:
> Hey hey,
> it's easier to describe the problem I think.
>
> I hae two pieces, one the song with vocals, the other the exact same song,
> but
> only the instrumental. Now I'd love to isolate the voice by alligning them
> and
> mixing them with one having inverted phase. Since I can't see, and
> apparently
> often instrumentals don't start at exactly the same time, I need a way to
> synchronise those tracks. time shifting by hand is very tedious and hasn't
> yet
> yielded a perfect result. There are other issues, which can cause
> "confusion",
> so I'd like to get this one out of the way.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to do it from the commandline? Sometimes
> alligning
> the beginnen of a piece (the onset of sound) might do, but sometimes it's
> little more complicated. Anything from Sox to Csound will do. :)
>
> I appreciate any hint in the right direction! Thank you!
>
> Ta-ta
> ----
> Ffanci
> * Homepage: https://freeshell.de/~silvain
> * Twitter:  http://twitter.com/ffanci_silvain
> * GitHub:   https://github.com/fsilvain

Hi,

Admittedly a bit of a strange answer, but if you have the Kdenlive video
editor installed recent versions (0.9.X) have a handy feature to
automagically align audio tracks from different camcorders that have
recorded the same content.. So in your case you could try importing the 2
audio files to 2 Audio timeline tracks in Kdenlive then set one as the
audio reference and then align the other to the reference... Then you can
export them from Kdenlive as Audio only..

Might be worth a try if you already have it, in my experience with
aligning audio feeds from multiple camcorders the audio alignment feature
in Kdenlive works flawlessly...

Good luck! Glen