[LAU] Changing default Jack output ports to be an application's ports

Element Green element at elementsofsound.org
Mon Nov 30 05:18:24 UTC 2015

Hello Len,

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015, Element Green wrote:
>
> The problem is getting applications, such as Clementine, to connect to my
>> application's ports instead of the physical output ports.  My
>> understanding
>>

> Personally, I use Pulseaudio with jackbridging and use jack_connect to
> tell pulse where to connect it's outputs. PA is always connected that way
> no matter what the dumb app does.
>
> Lots of people don't like pulse for historical (Hysterical?) reasons.

I'm certainly not opposed to using Pulseaudio in this case, since the audio
playback does not itself need to be low latency.  Though the latency may be
more deterministic in a purely Jack based solution, in order to calculate
the delay to synchronize it with the lighting control.

> So the other thing to do is tell your app not to connect at all and use
> jack.plumbing to connect your ports when they appear to the proper places.
> Jack.plumbing can be found in the jack.tools package. (jack.plumbing may be
> able to disconnect wrongly connected ports as well if the app can't be told
> not to connect)

I did not know about jack-plumbing.  This looks like the most
straightforward to me and is probably what I'm going to use.

> Or, (but wait there's more!) set up an ALSA through port.... what the
> people who don't like pulse generally use and what one of them can explain
> as I always found it frustrating.... prolly because I was too lazy to learn
> it ;)
>
> Anyway, there is more than one way of doing things. Using jack natively is
> probably the best way in the end if you can figure jack.plumbing out.
>
> Note: my wife save hundreds of dollars a month using Skype, so I have
> learned to put up with pulse. She uses jack as well because her mic and
> guitar use a USB IF while still using the internal outputs :P and it is
> easier to do this with jack than pulse alone. Thank you for zita-a2j Fons.
>

> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Thank you kindly for the great solutions.   I was sure there were options,
but its been a while since I messed with this stuff.

Cheers!

Element Green