[LAU] Searching for audio interface with software-controlled mic gain

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 10:15:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 10:17:38 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 10:38:54 +0200
> Thomas Janu <thomas.janu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Lorenzo,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Thomas,
> > >
> > > Sorry to dig up this oldish discussion and if I missed some of the ideas..
> > > but it's actually quite interesting.
> > >

> > No problem - it's still not solved on our side, as the two solutions so far
> > were deemed too expensive for a test setup by my higher-ups.
>
> How about a Heath-Robinson solution?
> Hook up an Arduino-mini (or the like) to voltage or digitally controlled
> amplifiers and link it into the computer via USB. If that's not possible run an
> external RS232 serial line to it.

I was just thinking along similar lines. Particularly the Cypress PSoC 5LP.

It has Delta-sigma ADC on board for which "nominal operation is 16 bits at
48 ksps". It also has Programmable Gain Amplifiers for which "the gain is
adjustable at runtime, including changing the gain of the PGA prior to each
ADC sample". And there's a "24-bit fixed-point digital filter processor".

All on a neat little board with a snap off USB programmer and mini USB at
the other end for $10. Programming it is fairly straightforward thanks to
the free PSoC creator software, but that doesn't run on Linux unfortunately.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-059-psoc-5lp-prototyping-kit

--
John.