[LAU] Mixer for recording and live

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Sep 10 15:53:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:30:10 +0200
Rhizomatic Nomad <mail at rhizomatic-nomad.net> wrote:
> In short: I'm looking for a mixer which works out of the box with linux.
>
> Longer story: For an acrobatic/music group I'm looking for a mixer with
> different compatabilities:
> - It should work as a(n analog) standalone mixer for mics and instruments
> - It should work with linux to get the sources into ardour, preferable
> replace an external soundcard
> - In best case it has Midi support to control ardour and other programs.

I just pre-ordered a Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK (*)
22-ch Mixer with 16 x Ghost Mic Preamps, 3 x Aux Busses, 4-band British EQs, Dual Lexicon Effects Engines, dbx Limiters, Switchable Hi-Z Inputs, and USB Playback and Recording

This is going to be an upgrade from my Alesis MultiMix16 FireWire board which
has been a great little mixer but a bit limited for the live shows/recording
I'm doing lately.

The MTK version will output each channel individually via USB 2.0 at
24-bit/48kHz.  It also has a USB return feature, allowing you to take the
pre-fader signal, patch it into Ardour (or other DAW), and take the DAW's
output and feed it back in, so you can add effects in your DAW if you want.
They're claiming 4ms latency over USB.  We'll see about that.  I am expecting
it to work right out of the box, as USB devices seem pretty well supported,
but I won't be able to know until it arrives.

The only thing it doesn't have is the MIDI control, but that wasn't one
of my requirements.  If I wanted to get insane, I might be able to send
everything through Ardour and use either a control surface or an app like
TouchDAW to control on the fly, but that would be completely dependent on
the latencies involved and making all the bits work right.

(*) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig22MT

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com