[LAU] how to connect computers with Netone?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Sep 30 21:53:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Menno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i want to connect 2 computers (Linux Mint + KXStudio) and use the
> JackTransport on one (the master) to guide the other (the slave)
>
> - On the master i have jack2 running and Claudia.
> i run in terminal: jack_netsource -H 192.168.1.128  <-- = address of master
> The reply = Not Connected and i see in Claudia a small window appear called
> "NetJack". It has 2 inputs, 2 outputs and a midi in and out. And, yes, they
> are not connected to anything.
> - On the slave i have jack2 running and Claudia.
> i run in terminal: jack_netsource -s 192.168.1.129  <-- = address of slave

I have never had good results using the jack_net_master/slave or
jack_netsource. Netjack2 where the master has jack_load netmanager run
after jack is running and the slave(s) are started with jackd -d net has
worked quite well for me. See:
https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/blob/master/README_NETJACK2

I am not saying the other ones are broken, just that I never figured them
out. Also note that when I was playing with it, I had some rather marginal
machines. My master was a P4 (simgle core) which was fine but my slave had
less than .5gb ram and ran at less than 1Ghz.

For transporting audio, Zita-j2n/n2j works really well.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net