[LAU] how to connect computers with Netone?

Tweed tweed at lollipopfactory.com
Wed Sep 30 22:35:19 UTC 2015

On 09/30/2015 05:53 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Menno wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i want to connect 2 computers (Linux Mint + KXStudio) and use the
>> JackTransport on one (the master) to guide the other (the slave)
>>
>> - On the master i have jack2 running and Claudia.
>> i run in terminal: jack_netsource -H 192.168.1.128  <-- = address of
>> master
>> The reply = Not Connected and i see in Claudia a small window appear
>> called
>> "NetJack". It has 2 inputs, 2 outputs and a midi in and out. And,
>> yes, they
>> are not connected to anything.
>> - On the slave i have jack2 running and Claudia.
>> i run in terminal: jack_netsource -s 192.168.1.129  <-- = address of
>> slave
>
> I have never had good results using the jack_net_master/slave or
> jack_netsource. Netjack2 where the master has jack_load netmanager run
> after jack is running and the slave(s) are started with jackd -d net
> has worked quite well for me. See:
> https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/blob/master/README_NETJACK2
>
> I am not saying the other ones are broken, just that I never figured
> them out. Also note that when I was playing with it, I had some rather
> marginal machines. My master was a P4 (simgle core) which was fine but
> my slave had less than .5gb ram and ran at less than 1Ghz.
>
> For transporting audio, Zita-j2n/n2j works really well.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Can jack_load netmanager/jackd -dnet provide transport sync?  I don't
see it listed in jackd -dnet -h or params available for netmanager
I've been using (under jack2 (actually master can be jack1)):
Master(jack1) - jack_netsource ...
slaves(jack2) - jackd -dnetone ...
this provides great transport sync between 1 master/3 slaves.
jackd -dnet under jack1 still seems to have 2(ish) second lag for slave
transport roll.
Thanks!

--
www.the-temp-agency.com/lollipop-factory