[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 14:55:31 UTC 2016

Totally agree with Mark's arguments on maintenance. Having a simple UI and
complex UI is not such a good idea. It would be better to just not dump
complex stuff on the first panel. And this is what I meant about Musician
and Sound Designer use cases, I did not mean to have separate interfaces
like Zyn has now.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2016, david wrote:
>
> Agreed, I'm generally a resident of the Knob Universe and now I have the
>>> data to show that people who like to reply to the survey tend towards
>>> that side as well.
>>>

>> For some reason, I find sliders easier to operate, physically and
>> onscreen, but I like knobs for some functions. I find onscreen knobs less
>> easy to operate. Guess I'm weird.
>>

> In my opinion... knobs and sliders should operate the same. The mouse
> moves in a straight line either sideways or vertical. For the same size
> screen area, a knob can probably _show_ a finer resolution that a slider,
> maybe 3 to 1 -ish? In other words, the widget's most important goal is to
> show the control's position. The mouse movement to change that control can
> be independant of that. One of the early sequencers I used (on an Atrari)
> just had the numeric value as a widget. Holding the mouse button down and
> moving it up or down adjusted the value. (sideways may have worked too, but
> it has been a while :) This did (on such a low resolution screen) allow a
> very tight control packing.
>
> My favourite knobs are operated with either/or right to left, down to up.
> There is also no reason a horizontal slider needs to be locked to only
> horizontal mouse movement or a vertical slider to only vertical movment.
> (don't knock it till you've used it for a month)
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Louigi Verona