[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Tilo Kremer lau at dadacafe.org
Fri Apr 29 19:39:51 UTC 2016

On 29.04.2016 16:34, Len Ovens wrote:
>> For some reason, I find sliders easier to operate, physically and
>> onscreen, but I like knobs for some functions. I find onscreen
>> knobs less easy to operate. Guess I'm weird.
>
> In my opinion... knobs and sliders should operate the same. The
> mouse moves in a straight line either sideways or vertical.
>
> In other words, the widget's most
> important goal is to show the control's position. The mouse movement
> to change that control can be independant of that.
>
> My favourite knobs are operated with either/or right to left, down
> to up. There is also no reason a horizontal slider needs to be
> locked to only horizontal mouse movement or a vertical slider to
> only vertical movment. (don't knock it till you've used it for a month)

+1 on that. The advantage of differently sized and arranged icons is
the recognizability of the state it is set to. With icons of faders
it will use a lot more screen real estate when trying to convey a
topological structure though.

I guess the question between icons resembling either pots or faders
doesn't fully cut to the essence.

While I might prefer knobs for an envelope to use in a live context,
I concur that the faders in the additive synth totally make sense
and would be ridiculous with knobs.

hth,

tee