[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Mark D. McCurry mark.d.mccurry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 22:47:39 UTC 2016

On 04-30, Christopher Arndt wrote:
> Am 28.04.2016 um 15:11 schrieb Mark McCurry:
> > Here's a short survey on the topic:
> >
> > http://goo.gl/forms/st8xv3s2I9
>
> A remark about question one:
>
> "Are you willing to pay for the 3.0.0 UI rewrite when it is released?"
>
> I truthfully and unashamedly answered this (the way it is worded) with
> "No".
Thank you for doing so.
Accurate information is key for getting a feel for what people really
want and what just sounds nice, but isn't that important.

> I never buy software when it is new and only when I have the
> opportunity to test it (or a demo version which isn't too crippled) with
> my rig for a sufficient amount of time.
A demo version is planned.
The currently anticipated limitation is going to limit the views
(basically different images within the mockups) that the user can
access.
I thought that the demo and this funding approach were important as it
will get the synth in the hands of people who either don't have enough
information or are on the fence about the whole thing.
I want people to be informed when they get the full version as capturing
the overall feel of an application isn't something that I think can be
done without some real use of the tool.

Since this demo will use a subset of the total UI views, it will be done
before the rest of the UI and released prior to the full version in
order help polish things up.
I'm not sure if the early release for the demo will be a public thing or
not, but when the full version is done it will be publicly available.

> Then again, I prefer hardware synths anyway and bought only a couple of
> synth plugins (for windows), which I seldom use.
I can't blame you there, there's something truely enjoyable about the
physical aspect of hardware synths.
I've got a whole pile of those electronic projects on bench.
Part of my own interest in the touch interface use-case it to help
restore some of that physicality which is lost when poking a GUI with a
mouse.

> I would pay for ...
Let's break this down:

- [check] a Linux LV2
- [check] standalone synth
- [depends on the patch, but for a good few, check] that sounds great
- [nope] only has a very limited set of features
- [check] powerful set of subtractive synth features
- [I'm not sure what you mean by this] a good controller matrix
- [hopefully after this rewrite] a great UI
- [check] is fully controllable via MIDI
- [super check] is fully controllable via OSC
- [check for MIDI mappings] with a configurable mapping
- [check] bank changes
- [check] patch changes
- [nope, but it's on the feature tracker] tempo sync.
- [nope] similar to TAL U-NO-LX

Not too bad, though it doesn't meet all of your personal requirements.
By Zyn's nature it is somewhat of a kitchen-sink synth, but there does
seem to be a sizable audience which enjoys it.

--Mark