[LAU] Other crackles

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Aug 28 10:34:30 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The thread on 'crackles in audio' reminded me of a similar problem
which upset me for some years now.

I normally run Jack all the time, and for apps that don't support it
there's an ~/.asoundrc like this:

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }
}

pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
       0 zita-mu1:in_2.L
       1 zita-mu1:in_2.R
    }
    capture_ports {
        0 system:capture_1
        1 system:capture_2
    }
}

If you don't know what zita-mu1 is, see here:
<http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/zita-mu1-doc/quickguide.html>

The only use case for this is viewing youtube videos with either
Chromium or Firefox, which will use ALSA's default device.

This works ok but after some time I get 'crackles'. It sounds
like a buffer wraparound. Repositioning or stopping/restarting
the video usually solves the problem, but it will come back
after some time.

I see no reason why things shouldn't 'just work'. And I've been
wondering: is this a long-standing problem with ALSA's Jack
plugin, or are the browsers doing something wrong ? In either
case, is there a solution (not involving PA or loop devices) ?

Ciao,

--
FA