[LAU] Other crackles

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Aug 28 14:18:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> If you don't know what zita-mu1 is, see here:
> <http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/zita-mu1-doc/quickguide.html>
>
> The only use case for this is viewing youtube videos with either
> Chromium or Firefox, which will use ALSA's default device.
>
> This works ok but after some time I get 'crackles'. It sounds
> like a buffer wraparound. Repositioning or stopping/restarting
> the video usually solves the problem, but it will come back
> after some time.

I personally use pulse as a front end for jack (unloading all pulse's alsa
and alsa detection modules) because my wife uses skype. But the MU1 still
looks useful. No crackles here, but not sure what the difference is.

> I see no reason why things shouldn't 'just work'. And I've been
> wondering: is this a long-standing problem with ALSA's Jack
> plugin, or are the browsers doing something wrong ? In either
> case, is there a solution (not involving PA or loop devices) ?

How about firefox with jack? I know the work is done and the jack works
and can be had in self built versions now. It should show up in a release
soon.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net