[LAU] Powered USB hub

Eric Wong e at 80x24.org
Mon Dec 26 01:13:03 UTC 2016

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> a not entirely Linux related question. Has somebody ever used a powered
> USB hub connected between a computer and an USB audio interface? I
> wonder if this could cause issues.

I seem to recall there was (at least a few years ago) problems
with mixing USB 1.1 and 2.0 on the same hub; I haven't checked
if they got resolved in the kernel.  Otherwise, if everything
is the same USB speed, things should be OK (or better).

I've also found using a powered hub is beneficial if the USB
power from the motherboard is marginal, or if you need to run
longer distances (i.e. I put my tower as far away from me as
possible to avoid HDD and fan noise).