[LAU] Bluetooth Latency

David Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 28 01:12:52 UTC 2016

On Dec 27, 2016 14:06, Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:

> I'm thinking of doing some home studio recording using a set of (yet to be purchased) bluetooth headphones as monitors.
>
> ​Before I do a bunch of work on this ...
>
> - I have a cheapie (under $5 from China) USB adaptor. Seems to be working fine. Would a better one make a difference for my purpose?
>
> - I tired some expensive Bose headphones and they seems to lose the connection a lot. But, I have my cell phone in the other room right now and the computer is playing an audio stream just fine. So, are some devices just shitty at maintaining a connection?
>
> - Is there a latency issue if I start to monitor something on the computer while playing (I play sax)? I've done this is wired phones and it all worked quite well ... but I nearly killed myself due to bad cable management :)
>
> - Bluetooth works with jack?
>
> Thanks!​

Don't know about JACK and Bluetooth, but does your audio interface offer hardware monitoring? My cheap (but not as cheap as yours) Behringer UAC-202 does. It has a headphone out connector and a switch to set the headphone out to hardware monitor. Then you could just run a cable from headphone out to Bluetooth headphone base station and use the headphones paired with the base station. (I know, "base station" isn't the right phrase, but they're used to add wireless/BT headphones to existing stereo systems.)

David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com