[LAU] Allen&Heath Ice-16

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Dec 28 18:11:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016, Georg Krause wrote:

> Am 27.12.2016 um 16:28 schrieb Len Ovens:
>>
>> Ya, I had read that. It actually says very little. I feel cheated when
>> the manual does not at least have a URL to the standard used... Maybe I
>> ask too much :)
>
> No you dont ask too much, i see it the same way and i think most manuals
> hide pretty important information. After reading the hole manual where a
> lot of obious things about windows drivers are discribed i also felt a
> little bit disappointed. Maybe someone should ask the support about.
> They only write down what they think the users need, asking something
> which isnt written anywhere may influence the future manuals? I dont know ;)

The first question they would ask is for my registration no. I don't have
one as I don't have the box. What manufactures don't seem to get is that I
read through the manual in deciding _if_ I would buy their box. If the
information I get from them before purchasing doesn't tell me what I need,
I don't buy. This box does look like an interesting solution for one of my
uses (live recording) but the use of non-standard/undocumented sync
options would limit it's usablility to one use only, making it over priced
for me. If it had wordclock or even aes3/spdif in, it would be much more
interesting. If this is the same standard used in DJ equipment (I also
can't find info for that) it may use one of those things inside the cable
which means I would be able to hand make a usable cable (maybe). That
would allow it to be used for studio recording as well. Anyway, I don't
think I will buy one.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net