[LAU] Ardour: use case for monitor plug-in ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Feb 12 22:39:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:

> Ardour has recently added the capability for the monitor to also have
> plugins just like any regular track.  What would be use cases for
> wanting to have a different audio specific to the monitor ?

Plugins can have other uses besides modifying the sound. The use case that
came to me up front was metering or other kinds of visual signal testing.
Ardour does come with a lot of different meters already, but if you happen
to have yet another, there is a place to put it. Why here and not on
master (first thing that came to my mind)? Because monitor gets PFL/AFL as
well as final mix. I am right now working on a guitar track of a small
loop where I have copied the same audio to two tracks and am comparing the
sound, one with plugins and the other with insert to do the
same thing externally. Having one way of scoping/metering and switching
back and forth is handy.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net