[LAU] (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ? - status so far

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Feb 15 19:37:35 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com <jonetsu at teksavvy.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:16:23 -0500
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
> > They are not hidden anywhere.
>
> > The QJackCtl setup dialog shows you ALL the parameters. JACK's default
> > parameters are identified on the man page and they are very few.
>
> There's an obvious conflict in execution between the jackd that gets
> launched at boot with the -p256 option, and the stored configuration in
> qjackctl that shows buffer size 128.

if you use jack2 with its dbus integration, starting it via jack_control
then the current and default parameters can be seen using jack_control.

> My suspicion goes around pulse audio since the pulse jack sink is
> activated.  An emacs grep-find through all /etc/ and its subdirectories
> only reports two instances of the string 'jackd', in limits audio.conf
> and default.pa (that one being jackdbus).  Still a mystery where jackd
> gets launched, where are the parameters stored.  And, why aren't the
> qjackctl params observed (where would these be stored ?)

when jackd is auto-started by a client, it takes its command line from
~/.jackdrc. This is documented. client-auto-start is controversial.

> The pulse jack sink allows use of, for instance vlc and firefox for
> audio output.
>
> > In general, starting JACK at boot time is a mistake.

> Why would that be ?

because jack might stop, or you might need to stop jack, and then you have
no standard way to restart it except by rebooting.