[LAU] (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ? - status so far

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Feb 15 19:56:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:37:35 -0500
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> if you use jack2 with its dbus integration, starting it via
> jack_control then the current and default parameters can be seen
> using jack_control.

Yes, jackdbus is launched.

> when jackd is auto-started by a client, it takes its command line from
> ~/.jackdrc. This is documented. client-auto-start is controversial.

OK, thanks.  I modified it, restarted the system and now all the proper
parameters are there.  And the jack sink pulse.

The latest modifications in qjackctl were not saved.  It showed 128,
jackd was launched with 256.  I do not know where qjackctl fished out
the 128 value to show in the GUI.

>>> In general, starting JACK at boot time is a mistake.

>> Why would that be ?

> because jack might stop, or you might need to stop jack, and then you
> have no standard way to restart it except by rebooting.

Just about everything can be restarted.  It might be a matter of
defining 'standard way'.

A few moments ago I stopped jackd, without taking care of stopping
Mixbus 3.1.  There were some edits not saved (not much as I save very
often) and Mixbus would not save them when exiting, because jackd was
gone.  This is not likely to happen, that jackd goes away, although in
such cases data should be saved nevertheless.