[LAU] Ardour session with plain ALSA, without JACK

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Feb 19 21:14:52 UTC 2016

Hi Robin,

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 20:47:18 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
>On 02/19/2016 08:28 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> There's no special reason that I want to use ALSA instead of JACK, I
>> just want to test it. I never tried to do it before, with any other
>> version of Ardour.
>
>One reason would be to compensate for systemic midi latency (Ardour's
>ALSA backend can do that, jack can't).

this is a good reason to use ALSA without JACK.

The script [1] run before and after trying to start Ardour with ALSA [2].
Ardour failed to start.

The script [3] launched after Ardour started successfully with JACK 2 [4].

FWIW at first I didn't use a distro's package, but when I downgraded to
the distro's version ardour-4.6-1, it also failed to open with ALSA.

Default kernel, booted without 'thredirqs':
    [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ uname -rm
    4.4.1-2-ARCH x86_64

It's not a distro's package, but based on a distro's package (optional
dependencies are installed), the PKGBUILD includes 'waf configure':
    [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ cat /var/cache/aur/current/ardour-4.7-1-PKGBUILD
    [snip]
    pkgname=ardour
    pkgver=4.7
    pkgrel=1
    [snip]
    depends=('liblrdf' 'liblo' 'lilv' 'suil' 'taglib'
             'aubio' 'rubberband' 'gtkmm')
    makedepends=('git' 'python2' 'boost' 'cppunit' 'doxygen' 'graphviz')
    optdepends=('xjadeo: video monitoring'
                'harvid: video timeline')
    source=("$pkgname-$pkgver::git+https://github.com/${pkgname^}/$pkgname.git#tag=$pkgver"
            "$pkgname.desktop")
    [snip]
    prepare() {
      cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

      # python2 fix
      sed -i 's/python ${SRC}/python2 ${SRC}/' libs/pbd/wscript
    }

    build() {
      cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

      python2 waf configure --prefix=/usr \
                            --configdir=/etc \
                            --with-backends="jack,alsa" \
                            --libjack=weak \
                            --optimize \
                            --docs \
                            --cxx11 \
                            --no-phone-home

      python2 waf build $MAKEFLAGS
    }

    package() {
      cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

      python2 waf install --destdir="$pkgdir"
    [snip]

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** ####
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ wget http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh && date;bash ./adevices.sh
[snip]
Fri Feb 19 21:35:30 CET 2016
Part I: ALSA
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.4.1-2-ARCH.

Card 0 (HDSPMx579bcc):
  * Playback Device 0 (RME AIO):
    - Subdevice 0 (hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0,0):
      closed

  * Recording Device 0 (RME AIO):
    - Subdevice 0 (hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0,0):
      closed

Part II: jack processes

[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ wget http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh && date;bash ./adevices.sh
[snip]
Fri Feb 19 21:37:52 CET 2016
Part I: ALSA
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.4.1-2-ARCH.

Card 0 (HDSPMx579bcc):
  * Playback Device 0 (RME AIO):
    - Subdevice 0 (hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0,0):
      closed

  * Recording Device 0 (RME AIO):
    - Subdevice 0 (hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0,0):
      closed

Part II: jack processes

[2]
### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** ####
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ date;ardour4
Fri Feb 19 21:36:14 CET 2016
bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour4] to /usr/share/ardour4/locale
Ardour4.7.0 (built using 4.7 and GCC version 5.3.0)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour4/system_config
CPU vendor: AuthenticAMD
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour4/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/rocketmouse/.config/ardour4/ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /etc/ardour4/dark.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour4/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour4/clearlooks.rc
EngineControl::set_state
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Found nothing along /home/rocketmouse/.config/ardour4/templates:/usr/share/ardour4/templates
run dialog
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
caught signal - shutting down.
Process is still running! trying SIGKILL
caught signal - shutting down.
Process is still running! trying SIGKILL
caught signal - shutting down.
Process is still running! trying SIGKILL
Butler drops pool trash

Errors/Messages:
ERROR: AlsaAudioBackend: failed to allocate parameters.
ERROR: AlsaAudioBackend: failed to allocate parameters.
ERROR: AlsaAudioBackend: failed to allocate parameters.
INFO: Loading 88 MIDI patches from /usr/share/ardour4/patchfiles

run dialog
Cannot get session parameters.

[3]
### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** ####
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ date;bash ./adevices.sh
Fri Feb 19 21:45:45 CET 2016
Part I: ALSA
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.4.1-2-ARCH.

Card 0 (HDSPMx579bcc):
  * Playback Device 0 (RME AIO):
    - Subdevice 0 (hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0,0):
      used by: jackd (PID 7171)
      access: MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED
      format: S32_LE
      subformat: STD
      channels: 16
      rate: 44100 (44100/1)
      period_size: 1024
      buffer_size: 16384

  * Recording Device 0 (RME AIO):
    - Subdevice 0 (hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0,0):
      used by: jackd (PID 7171)
      access: MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED
      format: S32_LE
      subformat: STD
      channels: 14
      rate: 44100 (44100/1)
      period_size: 1024
      buffer_size: 16384

Part II: jack processes
 7171 ?        SLsl   0:00 /usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 44100 -p 1024 -d hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0 -X raw

[4]
### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** #### **** ### **** ####
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ date;ardour4
Fri Feb 19 21:45:08 CET 2016
[...]
JACK command line will be: /usr/bin/jackd -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 44100 -p 1024 -d hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0 -X raw
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0|hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 16 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 16 periods for playback
scan: added port hw:0,0,0 in-hw-0-0-0-HDSPMx579bcc-MIDI-1
scan: added port hw:0,0,0 out-hw-0-0-0-HDSPMx579bcc-MIDI-1
scan: opened port hw:0,0,0 in-hw-0-0-0-HDSPMx579bcc-MIDI-1
scan: opened port hw:0,0,0 out-hw-0-0-0-HDSPMx579bcc-MIDI-1
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /usr/lib/ardour4/LV2
error: failed to expand CURIE `synthv1_lv2:103_LFO1'
error: attempt to add quad with NULL field
Set cursor set to default
Set buffering params to 262144|131072|10|10
Set buffering params to 262144|131072|10|10
Skip explicit buffer seconds, preset in use
Skip explicit buffer seconds, preset in use
JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 35 port_dst = 15
JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 36 port_dst = 16
JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 1 port_dst = 33
JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 51 port_dst = 15
JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 52 port_dst = 16
actually writing state to /home/rocketmouse/Desktop/yet_another_new_session/yet_another_new_session.tmp
renaming state to /home/rocketmouse/Desktop/yet_another_new_session/yet_another_new_session.ardour