[LAU] Multiple asynchronous JACK chains resampled?

Jonathan Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Wed Feb 24 15:25:08 UTC 2016

> FYI, we are using on a very regular basis for a number of years now
> numerous instances of JACK running on multiple hosts which communicate via
> netjack. So from our experience your goal of running multiple RPi's is
> certainly achievable. You may need to get a few spare screens/keyboards to
> make things slightly easier for administration purposes.
>
> In our studio the building is the monolithic DAW.
:-)  Have been trying to find a wisecrack for that one, I am still smiling.
> One of the benefits of this approach is that NONE of our computing
> hardware ever gets 'end of life'd' and we can add in additional processing
> power any time we need to without having to completely rebuild the entire
> operation for every new work station.
>
> We literally save hundreds of thousands of dollars compared to our
> colleagues who insist on running monolithic solutions at their studios.
>
> The result is that every dollar we spend is expanding the capacity of our
> system without sacrificing the progress we have already made. The only
> things we have to be concerned with is the cost of electricity and keeping
> an eye on the increasingly unusual and extreme weather patterns.
>
> We can leverage the power of the swarm in ways far beyond that of a
> monolithic setup. However it probably takes a masters degree or two to
> make this kind of thing work well so it is not going to be everyone's cup
> of tea.
>

> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd
Patrick, that is really something.  Sounds like my daydreams many years
ago.  Can you tell us a bit about what kinds of applications you use
this ("cluster" perhaps, or "building" *grin*) for?  And what kind of
latency options do you have available?  I'd love to know as much as you
might care to share!

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb at ponderworthy.com   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!