[LAU] Multiple asynchronous JACK chains resampled?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Feb 24 07:21:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, February 24, 2016 8:42 am, Jonathan Brickman wrote:

>>     No, I know the difference very well.  My architecture currently
>>     has seven synchronous parallel chains right now ( see
>>     http://lsn.ponderworthy.com/doku.php/concurrent_patch_management ),
>>

>> this document is a clear explanation of why the person that made
>> application-level modular audio possible on Linux now believes in
>> Monolithic DAWs :)
> I don't doubt it!  But there is no monolithic DAW and never has been,
> that could give me half of what you and the folks who designed the rest
> of my tools are mostly responsible for producing :-)  And that is much
> appreciated !!!!!

FYI, we are using on a very regular basis for a number of years now
numerous instances of JACK running on multiple hosts which communicate via
netjack. So from our experience your goal of running multiple RPi's is
certainly achievable. You may need to get a few spare screens/keyboards to
make things slightly easier for administration purposes.

In our studio the building is the monolithic DAW.

One of the benefits of this approach is that NONE of our computing
hardware ever gets 'end of life'd' and we can add in additional processing
power any time we need to without having to completely rebuild the entire
operation for every new work station.

We literally save hundreds of thousands of dollars compared to our
colleagues who insist on running monolithic solutions at their studios.

The result is that every dollar we spend is expanding the capacity of our
system without sacrificing the progress we have already made. The only
things we have to be concerned with is the cost of electricity and keeping
an eye on the increasingly unusual and extreme weather patterns.

We can leverage the power of the swarm in ways far beyond that of a
monolithic setup. However it probably takes a masters degree or two to
make this kind of thing work well so it is not going to be everyone's cup
of tea.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd