[LAU] The Parting Glass

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Jan 24 17:54:12 UTC 2016

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:23:46 +0000
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:

> Over on Soundcloud Mark Bennett has posted an acapella recording of a
> traditional Irish ballad, as an open collaboration project.
>
> I found this song totally captivating so decided to try my hand.
> This is what I achieved. I hope you like it.
>
> http://www.musically.me.uk/music/The_Parting_Glass.ogg

Nice.  It would have been perhaps also nice to have a bit more presence
on the instruments though :)  If only for a bit more balance between
voice and instruments.  The instruments uplifting the voice without any
volume adjustments.

If I may continue on with the remarks, and on with the reverb...

Basically, I find that the reverb is intrusive and even has some hisses
at times.  I would have liked to hear a reverb that is natural sounding,
carrying warmth and a tad of depth, while still giving the feeling of
space.  As if the reverb could actually reflect the material of the
walls, the wood they are made with.

Please bear in mind that there is a difference in criticism between the
artistic effort and what we could call the 'production' technical
aspect.  On the artistic side it is very good :)

Cheers.