[LAU] The Parting Glass

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Jan 26 01:00:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 22:18:33 +0000
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for commenting. I often review my work in the light of people's
> observations.

Yes, it's always useful.

> The pad for the first verse is called 'Rushes', which is fairly
> descriptive. In the last verse, along with the softly padding drum
> there is sometimes a shaker. It is fairly quiet, and in fact on cheap
> systems is all but inaudible. I wonder if that is the 'hiss' you are
> hearing.

Maybe 'hiss' is not the right word.  There's a good example right after
the word 'was' at approx. 26 seconds.  It is heard at the same time as
the following word 'too'.  I'd call that a 'phaser reverb' :)  It's a
metallic high-pitched swoosh.  At least it sounds like that here on the
M-Audio studiophile speakers (not the best I agree).  With the Sony
MDR-7506 headphones this effect is attenuated a bit but nevertheless
present.

Without getting too zen about this, sometimes it is what's not there,
or what's barely there that brings out the support for the forefront.
It's not easy to describe.  For instance, the instrumentation would not
play that role.  It is too obvious.

Cheers.