[LAU] [Music] For fun 1 and 2

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jul 2 19:51:02 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:

> Mine are worn M-Audio studiophile.  Worn in the sense that the tweeters
> cones are busted.  So I do not use them for serious work.  One day,

I have C-700 Networks (Peavey) really meant for sound reinforcement. They
do sound better than the average yorkville or mackie powered deals, but
not anywhere close to the Tannoys. The practical side is cabinets, the
Tannoys look ok in the Living room the Peaveys do not... The Cerwin Vega
speakers I would normally use in the LR have lost the woofer surounds from
age and the cheap woofers I put in there (cheaper than a surround kit ;)
) don't really cut it. (ok-ish)

> Yes.  There is indeed a problem with not taking the acoustic sounds
> as they are.  Which also means to pay more attention to miking (no
> pickups used).  For this I have an Audio Technica AT2050 and a M-Audio
> Pulsar (first generation).

The ATs are ok (I have an AT2020) placement matters and pre. I have tried
both first gen discrete Mackie CR pres and an ART tube pre. (wish I had
nicer) The ART is more up front perhaps because of the limiter inside. I
also use a couple NT450 dynamic larger diapham mics which sound a little
flatter than sm58 do. But nothing fancy. I do not have an acoustic bass,
but the fretless (
http://www.ibanez.com/products/eb_detail.php?year=2016&area_id=3&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=159&color=CL01
) Has piezo pickups in the bridge which come close enough soundwise, at
least for now.

> There is one thing on my todo list, is to actually, seriously, try to
> mix some offerings from Mike Senior's multitrack library.  More than

> http://cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm

Thanks for the link.

--
Len Ovens