[LAU] [Music] For fun 1 and 2

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Jul 2 21:12:07 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 12:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> The ATs are ok (I have an AT2020) placement matters and pre. I have
> tried both first gen discrete Mackie CR pres and an ART tube pre.
> (wish I had nicer) The ART is more up front perhaps because of the
> limiter inside. I also use a couple NT450 dynamic larger diapham mics
> which sound a little flatter than sm58 do. But nothing fancy.

As of now the mics are connected directly to the m-audio 1010LT card's
2 XLR jacks (through a phantom power box for each).  In which way would
a preamp affect the sound ?

There are many good reviews about the ART MP preamp (although MPA II
would be more like it), the price is OK. One reviewer mentions that the
interface level should be set to neutral gain.  Looking at the 1010LT
manual, the interface has hardware DIP switches that offers two choices
for the mic inputs:

1) +30dB gain

2) Attenuates +30dB by 11dB (i.e., +19dB gain)

Te mudita24 panel currently has the gain set at 0 dB for both XLR
inputs.  What is the role of the DIP switches - does it mean that there
is no possibility of having neutral gain at all since the hardware
choices are +30dB or +19dB ?

> I do
> not have an acoustic bass, but the fretless (
> http://www.ibanez.com/products/eb_detail.php?year=2016&area_id=3&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=159&color=CL01
> ) Has piezo pickups in the bridge which come close enough soundwise,
> at least for now.

The acoustic guitar I use has an interesting 'challenge' in recording as
far as there is no hole.  Like the one at the bottom of the page,
only acoustic only:

https://www.guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/shiraki-anyone.507/

This actually might do away with the booming issue of having a mic too
close to the sound hole on a regular guitar.  On the other hand it also
disperses the sound.