[LAU] LinnStrument on Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 17 17:30:28 UTC 2016

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:06:24 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>On 07/17/2016 04:33 PM, Thomas Poulsen wrote:
> > Now I would like to also use it with the free Linux synths.
> >
> > Here's what I have been able to make work this far.
> >
> > Synthv1:
> > PME works reasonably well: I can play polyphonic in MPE mode, but it
> > tends to miss the "note off"s.
> > I can get the slide to work, by setting
> >  <param index="36" name="DEF1_PITCHBEND">2</param>
> >  <param index="78" name="DEF2_PITCHBEND">2</param>
> > is a preset.
> >

>now just wait there a little bit:
>
>synthv1 has no support for MPE whasoever! you're probably being
>fooled--in the good sense i mean:)--by its MIDI polyphonic
>key-pressure/after-touch implementation, which is currently hardwired
>to modulate key/note running volume and nothing more.

Polyphonic portamento anyway is something very relative. The DX7
provides some kind of it, but for sure not the desired kind of slide.
OTOH the Animoog actually doesn't, but the Animoog provides playing
a polyphonic sound and if wanted monophonic portamento for this
polyphonic sound by a special virtual keyboard. IOW what the Animoog
provides indeed is something useful, but AFAIK not available via MIDI
send, you need to play and record the virtual instrument by an audio
track. This at least is what I experienced. Even while playing an
instrument by touch screen has some advantages, for me playing an
instrument by a real keyboard still has got more advantages, playing by
touch screen comes with too man drawbacks for my taste.

YMMV!