[LAU] Google Magenta project's first composition

Erik Steffl erik at zasran.com
Sun Jun 5 07:33:27 UTC 2016

On 06/05/2016 12:19 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 22:12:24 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>> great emotional impact on audience does not require great emotional
>> investment of performer/author.
>
> To decide to make music, because you like this kind of art is emotional.
> Why don't we play soccer, run amok, plant a tree at the time we decide
> to make music? We decide to make music, experienced a sunset, by love,

   why did you remove the part when I write about how the author might
not be human or intelligent in any sense at all (flower, sunset etc.).
That was the point.

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 22:16:53 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>> On 06/04/2016 01:52 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>>> Call me again once the google-cluster takes a break from indexing and
>>> processing in order to attend a concert and listen to some music for
>>> pure enjoyment.
>>>
>>> Also only a matter of time?
>>>
>>> Seen any long haired bit go byte-banging and bus-diving lately?! :)
>>
>> matter of complexity. One can say matter of time as a shorthand for
>> "matter of complexity and complexity will increase with time".
>
> Joy is a matter of simplicity, not complexity. Actually it would
> require "artificial" live, not just a simulation of artificial live,
> let alone a simulation of human intelligence, is in any way useful to
> understand joy, impetus, emotions.

   emotions only come up in systems that are complex enough (that
doesn't mean that all complex systems would have emotions, just that the
current AI is too simple to have emotions and that complex enough AI
*might* eventually have emotions).

	erik