[LAU] Piano composition - Lost Isle

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Wed Jun 22 20:51:18 UTC 2016

S D wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2016 12:02 PM, "Glen MacArthur" <info at bandshed.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> Loved it! Also very much enjoyed 'Dark Matter'.
>
> ---
>
> Thank you, Glen. I had been focusing so much on this piece recently, and a
> few personal things, that I hadn't yet heard your two recent Freddie King
> covers. I decided to remedy that, went to your Rated:Blue SoundCloud page,
> and listened to them as well as to all of the pieces from Three Walls
> Down?
>
> Did you write those? They're great!
>
> Your son Connor is an excellent, tight and inventive drummer. Your voice
> is
> very expressive and your enunciation very clear, making the lyrics easy to
> understand even during some of the more full parts of the arrangements,
> which, though you are just a trio, certainly merit the description "power
> trio." :-)
>
> The recording, mixing and mastering are great as well. I wish I knew what
> you know regarding that, but with just solo piano for now, my modest needs
> are met by my modest knowledge of the subject.
>
> I loved the reggae tinge to one of the pieces, and your vocal scatting
> with
> your guitar lead on another. Connor put in a lot of few very interesting
> drum licks and ideas, and I love your use of momentary silences, breaks
> and
> prolongation of sound (like the gritty, pulsing fading guitar toward the
> end of Three Walls Down, before the pice really picks up again, that
> provide so much contrast and variation to the sounds and arrangements.
>
> Even though I don't really have need for it, unless I want to do a little
> "one man band" kind of stuff, I've been thinking about getting one of the
> two versions of the Harrison Mixbus (which has Ardour integrated into it,
> if I'm not mistaken about that) just to play with it and learn a little
> about the process.
>
> Anyway, really great music. Your audiences and fans must really love you,
> and I imagine that Connor is grateful to have a dad such as you and the
> shared musical adventure. :-)
>
> Steve

Hi Again,

Hey, I was trying to pay YOU a compliment! :) But thanks very much for the
kind words and for taking your valuable time to have a listen to our SC
page.

I wanted to clarify that all versions of Mixbus have Ardour under the
hood, the main difference is in 2 versions is the Harrison EQ/Compression
hardware emulation on the channel strips. The new Mixbus 32C emulates one
of their actual famed console models to a tee whereas Mixbus 3 is more
Harrison 'influenced' than an actual DSP reproduction of any particular
model.

Does one 'need' Mixbus for professional mixing and mastering results? I
wouldn't say it's a necessity but it does bring all (or most) of the tools
you need under one umbrella. You get the awesomeness of Ardour, some top
notch console hardware emulation as well as a handful of pro-grade LV2
plugins and effects without going outside of it's self-contained bundle.

That said if you have your finger on the pulse of Linux Audio development
then Ardour and a hand-picked assortment of steadily-improving FLOSS
plugins can also get you there if you prefer the scenic route. "Three
Walls Down" was completely mixed and mastered with Ardour4, I just
recently got a bit more powerful Studio computer and wanted to really get
a good working experience with Mixbus and I also distribute it in AV
Linux..

Anyway just thought I'd clarify that.

Best Regards, Looking forward to more SD tunes :)

Glen