[LAU] Experience and opinions about audio FLOSS licensing

Carlos sanchiavedraZ csanchezgs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 20:56:26 UTC 2016

Hello dear all.

Lately I've stumble upon some news and topics related to FLOSS licensing
and some cases defended by the Software Freedom Conservancy [1]
organization against corporations (see VMware[2]) that violate or just
ignore the terms and conditions of these licenses.

Given that here there is a wide range of people in different situations,
from researchers, programmers that make a living developing software,
developers (pro or not) that make utilities based on that software... and
just users, I'm really interested in real life cases in linux audio
software ecosystem.

In this case about your experience, premises and reasons why you chose your
licenses for your products or original projects, and same thing when you
build upon existing software.

Some ideas I hear here and there are along the lines of GPL 2: most used,
GPL 3: avoids Tivoization, LGPL and APL: permissive for enterprise use and
make business model easier (if it can be)...

Thanks in advance folks.

[1] http://sfconservancy.org/
[2]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/05/vmware_sued_for_gpl_violation_by_linux_kernel_developer/