[LAU] [OT] Compiling ncurses with gcc5

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Mar 31 20:56:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 22:09:38 +0200 (CEST)
Ffanci Silvain <silvain at freeshell.de> wrote:

> Hey hey everyone,
> I know it's not really on topic, but I needed a newer ncurses version to
> compile the latest Yoshimi. But it generates problems with gcc5.
>
> From research, I thought it was only an issue with gcc5.0 and 5.1, so I bit
> the lemon and installed gcc5.3, alas still no luck. I didn't find a version of
> ncurses, that both fixes it and has a pkg-config file with it. The issue is
> known and demonstrated here:
> http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18301
>
> They seem to have a fix somewhere in sage, but nowhere else. Can anyone please
> help me? Can I easily setup a pkg-config file for my old ncurses version of
> does anyone of you have a local fix from somewhere, so I can build 5.9 or 6.0
> with gcc5?
>
> Sorry, if this is a stupid question, but I really couldn't find a solution to
> this, that I could use.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Ta-ta
> ----

I've done a bit of hunting around the 'net and found there is ncurses V6.0 out
there.

I was able to configure and build it with GCC5.3 without any problems - I
didn't install it because I dont want to change my exisiting setup. However,
the original .tgz file is only 3M so I can email it to you if your email
provider accepts attachments that big.

HTH

--
Will J Godfrey