[LAU] A new approach

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Mar 31 23:22:14 UTC 2016

As part of our quest for the best possible sound we are planning an enhancement
that passes bits through a grading process (the well known 'Enharmonic Bit
Comparator' - version 33)* thus ensuring that any bit asymmetry is removed.
In laymans terms, this has a heater to agitate the bits, then an amplifier to
highlight the errors, and rectifiers to remove them. Symmetrical bits produce
significantly less quantum noise so reduce the possibility of alignment
boundary collisions, giving a much warmer, smoother presentation.

Such advanced technology has a cost of course, so to gain the greatest benefit
from this process it is necessary for Yoshimi to now use only audiophile grade
bits, rather than the standard ones and zeros present in ordinary programs. Bit
quality is heavily dependent on the source so we recently did a line-by-line
review of the code, feeding it to our Delta Orthogonal Grader.

Finally, there is the open-source BitShine engine (BS). This 'clarifies'
individual zeroes and ones passing through it, making them sharper, so should
give greater precision when passed on to the DA converter. This is available
under the 'Multi User Grant' license. As it appears to be GPL compatible we are
looking at it for possible inclusion.

I should point out that there is only a narrow window for discussion as we
expect to be committed by lunch time today.

* EBC33 - Mullard

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk