[LAU] MIDI controllable video player

Michael Jarosch riotsound at riotmusic.de
Wed May 4 12:34:10 UTC 2016

Am Mittwoch, den 04.05.2016, 12:17 +0100 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> Hi,
> On 4 May 2016 11:24, "Michael Jarosch" <riotsound at riotmusic.de>
> wrote:
> > For my work as an event technician, the use of an MIDI-controllable
> > video player would ease my life.
> Praxis LIVE can be easily configured to (almost) do what you want. I
> say "almost" as MIDI note support is coming soon, but you can already
> control video players via controller messages, as well as OSC or even
> TinkerForge.
> I can give you some pointers to setting up a simple project if you
> want to go this route.
> www.praxislive.org

I already considered getting into Praxis LIVE at a time, when I thought
ShowQ is lost. (Fortunately, it isn't: The original author is back and
will continue this great software project!) And ShowQ is the main
reason why searching for a MIDI controllable video player - that would
make it possible to do all the cues from one place...

The possibilities listed on the homepage really sound delicious and
would probably help a lot in most multimedia approaches I'd be
confronted with. Although, I'm a bit skeptical: Praxis LIVE looks more
like a scripting language than a ready-to-use multimedia application.
I'd classify myself more as a user than a coder. Python (and even PD)
is not my world...

On the other hand: If that makes it possible to trigger all the cues
from one place...

I should dig into Praxis LIVE... But not today. I have only a few hours
before launching my next theater project (where I could use the video
player for).

Greets!
Mitsch