[LAU] MIDI controllable video player

Neil C Smith neilcsmith.net at googlemail.com
Wed May 4 13:19:18 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

On 4 May 2016 at 13:34, Michael Jarosch <riotsound at riotmusic.de> wrote:
> The possibilities listed on the homepage really sound delicious and
> would probably help a lot in most multimedia approaches I'd be
> confronted with. Although, I'm a bit skeptical: Praxis LIVE looks more
> like a scripting language than a ready-to-use multimedia application.
> I'd classify myself more as a user than a coder. Python (and even PD)
> is not my world...

Thanks.  I fear though that the homepage may be putting you off when
it shouldn't.  Praxis LIVE's focus has become more about a hybrid
visual approach, with the ability to re-code components, but it
started out originally as a project aiming to provide an open-source
alternative to Isadora.  And if you know Isadora, you'll know that
this sort of use is what it's aimed at.  My last major project built
with Praxis LIVE was a contemporary twist on a magic lantern, with NFC
tags hidden in the slides to trigger videos (along with various FX
driven by sensors) - not far off what you're doing!

To do what you want to do you'd have to patch a few components
together (players -> mixer -> screen), but all the components you need
to do what you want are ready built and included to drag and drop in.

Python and PD are not my world either.  PD is too low-level for visual
programming in my opinion, and I've never touched Python.  Praxis LIVE
is actually coded in Java, partly because the JVM is one of the few
options for doing things like live-coded DSP.  The graphical side is
based on Processing, so really simple to code if you want to do so -
but really there's a lot you can do without touching the code editor
at all!

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist : Technologist : Adviser

Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections -
www.digitalprisoners.co.uk