[LAU] [OT] Looking for symphony with good counterpoint or independent voices

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 13:45:49 UTC 2016

On 11/01/2016 08:59 AM, J. C. wrote:

> I'm looking for symphonies with good examples of independent voices or
> counterpunctual techniques. So far I've looked at Beethoven's 9th,
> Mahler's 1st, Dvorak's 9th and even Mozart's Jpiter symphony. But the
> wealth of information online is too much to delve into it without more
> keywords. Unfortunately, "symphony" is also well-liked term for a lot of
> sites dealing with classical music in general.

add fugue, contrapuntal, counterpoint, polyphony etc to your symphonic
searches.

All 19th century composers were trained extensively in counterpoint and
you can find examples, be it shorter imitative phrases or full-blown
fugues (less so) in most major symphonic works of the 19th century.

I can probably help you more if you give a bit more detail as to what
you want from these examples.

As Dave said above, you will find many more examples in chamber music
than the symphony.

//