[LAU] [OT] Looking for symphony with good counterpoint or independent voices

J. C. julien at mail.upb.de
Tue Nov 1 14:01:44 UTC 2016

Nov 1 2016, David Santamauro has written:
> I can probably help you more if you give a bit more detail as to what you
> want from these examples.
>
> As Dave said above, you will find many more examples in chamber music than
> the symphony.
Hello Daivd and Dave,
thank you both for the pointers. I'm a quite familiar with Bach and the
forms of his time. Thus, I've seen a bit of counterpoint - and even
played it. :) Though I'll give Beethoven's "Große Fuge" a go.

The intention is to hear examples of strong, independent voices in a big
orchestra. I can imagine that most composers didn't go too far, in the
iterest of having discernable music and not one great mush. But I'd like
to know what can be done, and what people have done, when they wanted to
do more than simple accompaniment to the main melody. If you put 19th
centure concertos on one end of the spectrum (e.g. Grieg's A minor piano
concerto) and something like Beethoven's 9th symph0ony on the other end,
I'm looking for more works on the latter end. I need some inspiration
and practical demonstration of techniques/scoring.

Still quite vague, but my composition is in a very early stage yet.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Jeanette