[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Nov 1 13:54:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 14:08:36 +0100
Massimo Barbieri <massimo at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Can you use proprietary software without any limits? Can you study the
> source code of a proprietary software? Can you modify the proprietary
> software? Can you redistribute proprietary software?

1) Yes.

2) No.  I want to make music, not dispute algorithms.  When I put my
nose in source code is to get paid, to bring bread and butter to the
table.  When I'm, not paid, I like to make music.  And biking, and
various fun things.

3) No.  See 2).

4) No.  I believe people has a right to earn a living.

>> You could very well sell your music made with Open Source software.
>> The FLOSS license should not apply to the products made with the
>> software itself.

> I can assure that I can apply to my music any license I want :-)

Exactly.

> I chose  a Creative Commons license Attribution, Share alike
> (CC-BY-SA) and I used this license to publish final mix, single
> recordings tracks and Ardour project that are a sort of "source code"
> of our music. This is my way to say thanks to developers who wrote
> Ardour, Hydrogen, CALF and many others great software ad free
> software.

And there can be a time also when one will want to make money.  Why
not ?

Ciao.

--
NP: "Multiverso" - Deus ex machina (Official video, Bologna, October
2016) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRrDJntwsa8