[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Nov 1 14:09:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 13:48:17 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> Interesting or not, it's a misrepresentation of people who think
> like that, a typical simplification to black and white categories.
> Things are bit more subtle. Payments not being anonymous is in
> itself nothing evil. But when that lack of anonimity is used to
> systematically collect data on people's purchasing habits and
> interests, and that data is then sold to whoever is prepared to
> pay for it, then it can become something 'evil' very easily.

Going out of the scope of Linux music/audio, selling to other companies
is a little 'evil'. A larger evil is the hacking of data.

The trend is though about knowing more about the public.  Currently for
instance there are concerns about anonymity and the implementation of
the forthcoming V2X protocol.  Although I would not be surprised that
it 'ends up' that posts on the highway will know more about you when
they scan your new car.  We have all seen large advertisement displays
on highways now reacting to cars driving by.  Hey you in the white
Audi, do you want to get this new coffee maker ?  When will it be that
licenses plates are read in the distance, correlations are made in a
snap and bam, the large advertisement display has something exactly for
you when you drive by.

--
NP: "Più uguale" - Deus ex Machina live, October 2016
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtGryaej3o