[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Nov 1 16:45:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 17:19:33 +0100
Massimo Barbieri <massimo at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Il 01/11/2016 16:54, jonetsu ha scritto:
> > Well, well...  It is part of the terms of agreement to use the
> > software :)  I do not consider it a limit as it is part of using it.

> Hey, the GPL agreement doesn't ask me to pay anything. ;-)

But it asks you to share the code of the product you have paid $350,000
to develop.

> This is the part of the GPL license I like most, and for the same
> reason I published my music with the Share alike option! Wanna use my
> code? ...then reveal your code too.

This is where, I think fantasy comes in.

> I'm pretty sure that all the 72 developer contributors of Ardour has
> something to eat at dinner ;-)

Certainly not from the Ardour project, so this is largely irrelevant.
At US$5543.00/month average it could pay for 72 10kg bags of white rice,
and some cheese, and then next month, some vegetables :)  But the
housing is a real problem.  Not easy to rent/buy a place at less than
$50 per month.

This is to say, no wonder there are no fabulous sound producing
synthesizers in Open Source.  In the plural.  As soon as one as toiled
countless, pay less, months on finding algorithms and optimizing them,
then other months to design a suitable nice and enticing user
interface, and then other months on stabilizing the whole thing, one
naturally wonders, why do I have to count grains of rice everyday ?
What is the taste of tomatoes, I have forgotten.  Not to mention
crotonese.

That is full time.  Now, if one works in the evening and weekends, in
teams that also do likewise, because for instance they need a roof for
protection against the elements :) Since you mentioned Ardour, Paul
Davis currently resides, if I'm not mistaken, in a Sprinter van with his
wife, until June 2017. Which is quite neat, I must say, although I
thought of bringing it up here just for to add a coloration.

Then on nights and weekends only, it would take years and years to come
up with anything competitive at the creation and sensitivity level, of
commercial soft synths out there.  Again, in the plural.

So I consider that a fair amount of all that lies somewhere in a fantasy
world of sorts.  These arguments do not co-exist realistically in the
world today.