[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 23:08:58 UTC 2016

"I suspect 'learn to code' has something to do with a previous statement
about C++ being like C.  Using C++ in 3 days."

Haha! By saying that it is "like C" I did not mean that it is *exactly*
like C++. I know that C++ is a very different language and I know the C++
object oriented approach. It exists in PHP as well.

By being "like C" I meant that you can read code and at least understand
something. If you look at Assembly code knowing only C, you would not
understand a thing.

And while I cannot name myself a C++ programmer, I did code a lot in C++,
especially in university, and read Bjarne Stroustrup's book on the C++
paradigm.

"That specialized knowledge is not a function of the language.  A
carpenter can be Chinese, one can program compression bits in
assembler, one can write middleware in Erlang."

This is a good and valid point, but "knowing programming language" is
always an application of it to some field. I believe that this is relevant
to our discussion, where I am talking about the fact that *just* seeing
code is simply not enough.

" Again, 'learning to code' is kinda suspicious."

I don't understand what you mean here.

"The original question was:"

I am not discussing the original question. The discussion did branch out a
bit.

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.com/