[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Wed Nov 2 23:32:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 00:08:58 +0100
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:

> "I suspect 'learn to code' has something to do with a previous
> statement about C++ being like C.  Using C++ in 3 days."

> Haha! By saying that it is "like C" I did not mean that it is
> *exactly* like C++. I know that C++ is a very different language and
> I know the C++ object oriented approach. It exists in PHP as well.

My favorite implementation of object orientation is Smalltalk (1).
Really wonderful.  5 keywords.  The rest are objects. But not many
jobs.  One of these if I get hobby time for object development fun (eg.
much less music, basically), I'll go back to Smalltalk. Next OO
implementation that I like a lot is Perl. Yes. With Moose (2) and/or
POE (3).

> By being "like C" I meant that you can read code and at least
> understand something. If you look at Assembly code knowing only C,
> you would not understand a thing.

Yes, there are some that are very different.  Although many revolves
around the same thing.  if you do C and have some notions of functional
programming, you can read Erlang and spot things in it, for instance.

>> "That specialized knowledge is not a function of the language.  A
>> carpenter can be Chinese, one can program compression bits in
>> assembler, one can write middleware in Erlang."

> This is a good and valid point, but "knowing programming language" is
> always an application of it to some field. I believe that this is
> relevant to our discussion, where I am talking about the fact that
> *just* seeing code is simply not enough.

I did spend some time just playing with objects because it is so much
fun, without any field applications.  So it depends.  For me object
orientation supersedes any programming language.  Once you have the
structure and the interaction between objects, it matter less what
programming language is used - the one that fits the application.

Much like music (wrapping up to Linux audio...) when one gets the chord
progression and some melodies, the incarnation of these and the
subsequent interpolations can be done using Zynaddsubfx and Ardour, or
Zebra2 and Bitwig.

>> "The original question was:"

> I am not discussing the original question. The discussion did branch
> out a bit.

Indeed.