[LAU] Progressive Rock (Was: New Music: Five of Cups)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Nov 8 19:44:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 19:37:32 +0100
Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> wrote:

> Find other people to talk (about music) to, then.

The happening with the journalist happened by coincidence.  I was not
looking for it and he was looking on something on the subject of 'prog
rock'.  And again, it was a journalist.  Even so, if someone asks I
would give an answer no problemo.  If the brother-in-law wants to know
about the music I listen to I will not go "aw, you wouldn't understand".

> I've stopped years
> ago trying to interest other people, even friends, in the kind of
> music I like, if they don't want to. For most people, music is not
> about artistic expression or enjoyment, but about defining oneself
> and your peer group, so they disregard artists or genres that don't
> fit into that picture.

This also goes in 'prog rock' crowds.  There is a gathering function of
popular music.  At many levels of popularity.  In some, their is an
actual musical listening aspect to it.  In others none whatsoever. In
others, they like a beat, any beat.  Etc.

> Anyway, I enjoy music with "outdated" keyboard riffs! :)

I must say I did listen to a lot of the Flower Kings as they brought a
nice twist in a good number of their productions.  Saw them in
Würzberg once.  There is a lot of giving in composition and playing,
which I appreciate.

Eg.: "Love Supreme" live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNKuezjDno

But they also go into 'epic finales' which goes on and on and on and
on ...