[LAU] everything stops after 2.1GB

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Thu Nov 10 06:28:55 UTC 2016

Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> I don't think so. Jeanette had the same problem when using jack_rec,
> and I can't think of any reason why jack_capture should behave
> differently when running on a 32 bit OS. It's far more likely to be
> caused by the filesystem, or something else. I've cc-ed
> Erik de Castro Lopo, the author of libsndfile. He probably
> knows more about what could cause max file sizes of 2.1GB.

I didn't manage to get to the bottom of which piece of software
was causing the problem.

>From the POV of libsndfile, it has had Large File Support (which
makes file offsets 64 bit signed values) on 32 bit systems for over
a decade.

However, it is possible for other software using libsndfile incorrectly
(ie using a 32 bit integer to store file offsets) to cause this sort
of a problem, but then I would expect it to go wrong on 64 bit systems
because `int` is 32 bits there too. However on 32 bit Linux systems,
`long` whereas it us 64 bits on 64 bit Linux systems.

Erik