[LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Oct 13 19:12:23 UTC 2016

The future of audio plugins ?

Hopefully none... the whole concept of loading some binary blobs into
some host and expecting scalable reliable realtime performance is absurd
to begin with. Oh well, I suppose it could be worse.

> Plugins that network themselves together, sharing audio analysis,
> sharing data, taking decisions together on how to apply themselves as
> a group to an audio track, to stems, to a whole session.

Would that not be like an instrument playing itself?

> Is there any standard protocol currently in the works that would
> enable plugins of various companies, of various projects, to be able
> to exchange data ?

The only existing one with a complete ontology that I know of is LV2.

You can network LV2 plugins already: e.g. Ingen provides for message
ports, CV ports as well as control-port networks (apart from usual
audio/midi) in a modular fashion.

ciao,
robin