[LAU] Mixbus 32C (based on Ardour) and Reaper shootout

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Oct 28 18:50:18 UTC 2016

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016, jonetsu wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 10:09:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> pretty much the same from one to the next in micing/mixing. It says a
>> lot about the engineer's (producer too I think) focus and vision. (no
>> I do not mean eyesight)
>
> (ditching comment about Phillip Glass)

Actually it is pretty import in this case. It was not meant as either a
put down or admiration. It is important what the goal was in the first
place (focus and vision). There is a difference between "I mixed this on
Reaper with their eq/comp etc and then on MB with their eq/comp etc." and
"I mixed this on Reaper but chose eq and comp plugins that emulate analog
equipment and then use mixbus with it's internal plugins". (the second in
this case)

It is important because in both cases the goal (focus and vision) was to
end up with a product that sounded the same (did a good job too). This is
not a Reaper/Mixbus comparison. It is a Mixbus compared with 'the set of
plugins I have been using for ages to get the same sound'. It is really a
plugin comparison between an unknown mix of plugins and the MB32c strip
plugins. That unknown mix of plugins is what he has used for some time
(years maybe) and works for him. He does not say if he uses any special
preamps before the ADC, but I would expect so even if he was using an
analog mixer with excelent preamps. This is a money making studio after
all, and some mics just work better with some preamps. There may even be a
Harrison 32c preamp or eq strip sitting around. I suspect he would have
mentioned if he was using such a thing though. He was certainly up front
about using plugins in his Reaper setup to look for an analog sound.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net