[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Oct 30 21:58:47 UTC 2016

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 21:32:14 +0000
Yassin Philip <philcm at gnu.org> wrote:

> http://libremusicproduction.com/articles/lmp-asks-21-interview-yassin-philip

> It was a bit weird remembering all those things. Thanks to everyone
> of you, and let's keep rocking it :)

Excerpt:

"Why do you feel open source is important, and what for you is the most
important aspect of Linux audio?

Because I just don't trust proprietary code. Call me paranoid, but in
reality I'm just lazy :) I like to know that somebody, somewhere, and
preferably me, has read the code that I execute. But this is only one
reason. I find the proprietary world a PITA of dongles, cracks download
sites and talkative installers. I prefer to talk to the coding team
through a bugtracker than to "contact technical services". I want to
re-install a studio machine in one command that will pull everything I
need ; I want to spend more time doing just music.

It's basic hygiene. I use FLOSS, I write FLOSS code, and that's it."

Like dental floss.  Basic.  A bit of dissension, though -

The arguments for the use are not very strong, IMHO.  Nobody reads
the code of Ardour before using it.  Did you ?  How much time not
making music ? And if you don't agree with a function, then stop using
Ardour ? Of course not.

So if the goal is to spend more time doing music, then reading the code
to all the software is out of the question.

Proprietary world is not a world of dongles.  What about trust ?  I
trust very much the stability and performance of all u-he products.  I
trust the dedication of the people developing Bitwig.  I trust the
people making Renoise and Redux, two very stable and creative
products.  I trust Harrison when they add to Ardour. So on so forth.

But then, maybe this LibreMusicProduction outlet is one in which a bit
of propaganda is simply a matter of fact, and the mention of
proprietary products running on Linux is only found in the commentaries.

Cheers.