[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:17:41 UTC 2016

Totally agree with Jonetsu here.

Saying that free software is cool because you can look at the code is a bit
like saying that
you are happy that you can login to Joe's email account by virtue of being
able to use your
keyboard and typing in a password. Theoretically, you can brute force it.
Well, given a couple of
billion years.

There is simply no time in the world that anyone can review code for even
one sophisticated
piece of software they are using. So those claims of free software
activists are mostly irrelevant
for the ordinary user and are no more than sound bites.

Especially funny to read that you want to focus on music. Isn't focusing
code directly contradicts
focusing on music?

"I find the proprietary world a PITA of dongles, cracks download sites and
talkative installers"

Cracks download sites? Maybe it is time to actually pay the developers for
their software and
not just crack it? A lot of PITA goes away after that!

"I prefer to talk to the coding team through a bugtracker than to "contact
technical services".

I agree it is a great thing. However, not always. Sometimes developers will
like you in turn
and fulfill you requests. Some will tell you to go and "fix the code".
How's that for focus on
music?

Whereas many tech services of proprietary programs will really help you
solve the problem.
Alas, you have to buy the software first, not use cracks download sites!

In my view, both worlds offer complementary things. I use both proprietary
packages and
FLOSS. There is no FLStudio on Linux, but then there is no JACK-like
environment with
the apps I need, like kluppe or din. So, I use both.

I am now working on the article heavily criticizing Stallman's free
software philosophy. On
closer inspection many of his arguments are weak. But his ideas are rarely
challenged and
are usually taken for granted.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 10:58 PM, jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 21:32:14 +0000
> Yassin Philip <philcm at gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > http://libremusicproduction.com/articles/lmp-asks-21-
> interview-yassin-philip
>
> > It was a bit weird remembering all those things. Thanks to everyone
> > of you, and let's keep rocking it :)
>
> Excerpt:
>
> "Why do you feel open source is important, and what for you is the most
> important aspect of Linux audio?
>
> Because I just don't trust proprietary code. Call me paranoid, but in
> reality I'm just lazy :) I like to know that somebody, somewhere, and
> preferably me, has read the code that I execute. But this is only one
> reason. I find the proprietary world a PITA of dongles, cracks download
> sites and talkative installers. I prefer to talk to the coding team
> through a bugtracker than to "contact technical services". I want to
> re-install a studio machine in one command that will pull everything I
> need ; I want to spend more time doing just music.
>
> It's basic hygiene. I use FLOSS, I write FLOSS code, and that's it."
>

> Like dental floss.  Basic.  A bit of dissension, though -
>
> The arguments for the use are not very strong, IMHO.  Nobody reads
> the code of Ardour before using it.  Did you ?  How much time not
> making music ? And if you don't agree with a function, then stop using
> Ardour ? Of course not.
>
> So if the goal is to spend more time doing music, then reading the code
> to all the software is out of the question.
>
> Proprietary world is not a world of dongles.  What about trust ?  I
> trust very much the stability and performance of all u-he products.  I
> trust the dedication of the people developing Bitwig.  I trust the
> people making Renoise and Redux, two very stable and creative
> products.  I trust Harrison when they add to Ardour. So on so forth.
>
> But then, maybe this LibreMusicProduction outlet is one in which a bit
> of propaganda is simply a matter of fact, and the mention of
> proprietary products running on Linux is only found in the commentaries.
>
> Cheers.

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.com/