[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

fred f.rech at yahoo.fr
Mon Oct 31 19:23:37 UTC 2016

Le 31/10/2016 20:17, Louigi Verona a écrit :
> Totally agree with Jonetsu here.
>
> Saying that free software is cool because you can look at the code is
> a bit like saying that
> you are happy that you can login to Joe's email account by virtue of
> being able to use your
> keyboard and typing in a password. Theoretically, you can brute force
> it. Well, given a couple of
> billion years.
Or you may think it's about share VS not buying something

> There is simply no time in the world that anyone can review code for
> even one sophisticated
> piece of software they are using. So those claims of free software
> activists are mostly irrelevant
> for the ordinary user and are no more than sound bites.
Yes, but if one people at one time WANT to read that code he could do it
in the FLOSS world, not in prop 1

> Especially funny to read that you want to focus on music. Isn't
> focusing code directly contradicts
> focusing on music?
You got the point, where jonetsu, hmm...

> "I find the proprietary world a PITA of dongles, cracks download sites
> and talkative installers"
>
> Cracks download sites? Maybe it is time to actually pay the developers
> for their software and
> not just crack it? A lot of PITA goes away after that!
Yes, cracking is not a good stuff. OTOH, software MAY be for free. Once
you have done "1.0", who is not able to copy it for free?

> "I prefer to talk to the coding team through a bugtracker than to
> "contact technical services".
>
> I agree it is a great thing. However, not always. Sometimes developers
> will like you in turn
> and fulfill you requests. Some will tell you to go and "fix the code".
I can provide you a thousands lines of 1 mail-xchanges with
sony-clients-service, which leads to nowhere...
AND a thousands differents mails on LAU which leads to solution...
> How's that for focus on
> music?
Again, You got the point, where jonetsu, hmm...

> Whereas many tech services of proprietary programs will really help
> you solve the problem.
> Alas, you have to buy the software first, not use cracks download sites!
Here is LAU-list, who is talking about buying software? Who needs to
crack a FLOSS stuff?

> In my view, both worlds offer complementary things.
I agree, in some world you need to buy things!
> I use both proprietary packages and
> FLOSS.
I don't, & my people &I knows why.
> There is no FLStudio on Linux, but then there is no JACK-like
> environment with
> the apps I need, like kluppe or din. So, I use both.
Do you need to USE STUFF, or to DO THINGS ?
Learn how to use tools is the point. Improve they is the key;

> I am now working on the article heavily criticizing Stallman's free
> software philosophy. On
> closer inspection many of his arguments are weak. But his ideas are
> rarely challenged and
> are usually taken for granted.
Good luck if you are willing to face Stallman with controversy in mind!
Oh, Louigi, don't take all that personal too much; I really appreciate
what you often post here..