[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Oct 31 21:24:49 UTC 2016

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 20:23:37 +0100
fred <f.rech at yahoo.fr> wrote:

GOTIT is 0

> Or you may think it's about share VS not buying something

Then it is not Open.  It is half-baked.  It has a 'versus' clause.
Welcome Open, others not.  'Open' is then novlang for 'us'.

> Yes, but if one people at one time WANT to read that code he could do
> it in the FLOSS world, not in prop 1

And if one does not agree with an algorithm then one stops using
Ardour.  After one month (minimum) of hard work going through the
Ardour code, Ardour is ditched.  Now let's move on to QTractor...
Making music ?  Well, after this, and hopefully QTractor will be OK,
one has to go through all the plugins.  So yes, making music in about a
year from now.  Have to keep an eye on Ardour updates at the same
time.  Hopefully there will not be a OS update by then, because one
will have to recheck all of the audio infrastructure code.

Maybe one will be contented in making some C64-like noises a year from
now, in between two code examinations.

> > Especially funny to read that you want to focus on music. Isn't
> > focusing code directly contradicts
> > focusing on music?

> You got the point, where jonetsu, hmm...

THERE:

It was written:

"So if the goal is to spend more time doing music, then reading the code
to all the software is out of the question."

> Yes, cracking is not a good stuff. OTOH, software MAY be for free.
> Once you have done "1.0", who is not able to copy it for free?

Makes me think, just bought the latest from Italian band Deux ex
Machina (1).  Because I find it important to give money.  And this is a
small label, so it also helps them.  It so happens that people need
money to go by.  Designing and implementing quality software takes
time.  Doing it in evenings and weekend is no longer enough.  It was at
a certain time, not it does not fare as well because software gets more
sophisticated.

> I can provide you a thousands lines of 1 mail-xchanges with
> sony-clients-service, which leads to nowhere...
> AND a thousands differents mails on LAU which leads to solution...

That's not a good comparison isn't it. It's uprooted.  So let's compare
instead with Bitwig.  Let's compare with u-he.  Let's compare with
Harrison.  DiscoDSP.  OvertoneDSP.  Filterscape was given to me by
u-he.  Let's compare with u-he Linux support on KVR.

> > How's that for focus on
> > music?
> Again, You got the point, where jonetsu, hmm...

inc GOTIT
if GOTIT is 1
  GOTO THERE

> Here is LAU-list, who is talking about buying software? Who needs to
> crack a FLOSS stuff?

This was part of Phil's text.

>> In my view, both worlds offer complementary things.

> I agree, in some world you need to buy things!

Let's make it simple and let's say this world right here.  Like food,
for instance.

> > I use both proprietary packages and
> > FLOSS.

> I don't, & my people &I knows why.

Why ?

>> There is no FLStudio on Linux, but then there is no JACK-like
>> environment with
>> the apps I need, like kluppe or din. So, I use both.

> Do you need to USE STUFF, or to DO THINGS ?
> Learn how to use tools is the point. Improve they is the key;

At which point one stops making music to design sound generation
algorithms that will rival with the best softsynths out there.  I would
wage, though, that after near a year of full dedicated work one will
wonder why one does not get paid for this great sounding softsynth he
just made (well, when it will get a UI because so far there's no time
to work on a UI yet...)

> Good luck if you are willing to face Stallman with controversy in
> mind! Oh, Louigi, don't take all that personal too much; I really
> appreciate what you often post here..

If Stallman reflects the Close mind of Open activists.

(1) Deus Ex Machina - "Figli"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyS5V6wJ1mk

    Live Bologna 7/10/16 "Multiverso" (Official video) :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRrDJntwsa8

NP: "The 16 F_king Years Anniversary Session" - Kruder & Dorfmeister