[LAU] Childrens educational media and youtube promotions

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Sep 8 22:15:56 UTC 2016

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 21:37:03 +0000
> Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 01:54:50PM +0200, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>> > We need some community support so that the youtube search ranking
>> > algorithm(s) will give priority to the channel. It would be very
>> > helpful if y'all could like/subscribe/comment/share/link to the
>> > channel.
>> >
>> > In return I will be happy to do the same for your videos and assist
>> > with promoting via the "Linux Music Videos" playlist.
>>
>> Am I the only one who finds this sort of thing utterly disgusting
>> (keeping in mind that it's done for profit) ?
>
> It does have a strange, non-inviting aura.  As if it was done totally,
> completely, uninterested.  As a kid, it could be scary :)

The content has been screen tested on kids across a vatirty of ages and
none of them were scared. They actually enjoy singing along and practicing
the vocab especially with parents participating.

> Speaking of, although in a more creative, jazzy way, singer UA did a
> series of videos for children.  With almost 500,000 views:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oViLi0KEw6g
>
> Must have been a riot for her and comparse ont he TV set that day.

The top kids channel on youtube has had billions of views. Check out
ChuChu TV if you haven't already come across it.

As a parent with two children I know all the songs by heart and many more.

The point of this channel is not to compete with them but to do something
different. Our research has not come across any other learning material
that combines fractal animations and classical music. If you have young
children then you will know what it means to listen to the same songs for
weeks at a time. We are simply trying to provide an alternate viewing
option that will appeal to parents and children too.

Of course it is early days so we are under no illusions that we have
mastered the method yet. There's always room for improvement.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd