[LAU] Yoshimi - trying to help newbies

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sat Sep 10 18:59:32 UTC 2016

Right from V 0.016 we had the default MIDI and audio set for Jack, and soon
after that we abandoned the beginners Gui option.

Since then a lot has changed, and I'm wondering if we should reappraise these
decissions.

Fairly recently we gave a nod in the direction of helping beginners by making
the virtual keyboard appear alongside the main window on a very first time
startup. Personally, I think that's better than a dumbed down Gui.

These days, we also have the short Yoshimi guide that tries to get new users
started.

Now I'm wondering if we should change the first-time startup to an all Alsa
configuration. It would make no difference to existing users, as for quite a
while these have been re-settable preferences, and are stored in the config
file.

Would it get us closer to a 'just works' position?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk