[LAU] Laptop sound problems

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Sep 28 14:49:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016, Bill Purvis wrote:

> On 27/09/16 14:51, Len Ovens wrote:
>>
>> you need module-jackdbus-detect. the package is pulseaudio-module-jack in
>> debian/ubuntu. You also need to use jackd2 rather than jackd1.

> Installed that, but still no sound. Shut down Jackd and it bursts into sound.
> Tried to restart Jack but it fails:

Run pavucontrol. In the playback tab  under the stream you are listening
to there will be a box with the name of your  audio device. clicking on
that gives a drop down ... select jack sink. Sound should return. Then go
to the output devices tab and find jack sink. There is a square button
with a checkmark in it to "set as fallback". clicking on this makes that
the default.

In my case, I unload the PA alsa module and the PA udev module so that
pulse only ever sees the jack sink and then run jack at session start.

In my opinion, Pulse has the front end jackd should have always had and
jackd provides a stable backend that pulse should have always had.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net